Monday, May 5, 2014

Book Review: A Godward Heart

 http://www.randomhouse.com/images/dyn/cover/?source=9781601425669&width=1000

In John Piper's "A Godward Heart" he offers up 50 short chapters on topics ranging from "What does it mean to seek the Lord?"and "Glorifying the grace of God" to "Confrontation in marriage", and "Loving your neighbor".  I hesitate to call this a devotional as each chapter is more-so a short passage from Piper's teachings or even an excerpt from some of his other books that provide some great topics to meditate on throughout the day. 
I must admit that I generally have a really hard time getting through Piper's books.  To this day I have only completed one of them, and that after many months of stopping and starting again.  As someone who generally reads pretty quickly and purely for entertainment I have a hard time with Piper's books as I can generally only read a few pages at a time before I have to stop and wrestle through what I've read before I can fully wrap my head around it.  I have really enjoyed going through "A Godward Heart" as each chapter is only 3-4 pages long, and that's about all I can read at one time.  I've started reading this along with my daily devotions, and often find myself thinking back over it throughout the day.  
I would definitely recommend this book to someone who wants a little something extra to supplement their time in the word (not replace it!), but may have a hard time getting through some of the longer theology books out there.
To check out the first chapter click here! 

**I received a complimentary copy of this book to review from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group. All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. The book sounds good, thanks for your review! So funny, I'm the opposite of you - I am used to reading non-fiction and books like Piper's, and only in the past couple of years have gotten into fiction, and it's so hard for me to sit down and read a lot at once because I'm used to reading slowly and digesting every word. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...