I LOVE Twix candy bars. I used to be a Snickers girl, but I think I've slowly made the switch to Twix over time...crunchy shortbread, chewy caramel, sweet chocolate...need I say more? I recently caved and joined Pinterest, and this recipe was one of the first that I pinned. I'm quite proud of myself for actually making something off of my Pinterest account and not just drooling over everything I find there.
If you like Twix then you've gotta try this recipe!
Homemade Twix Bars
-1 cup salted butter, softened
-1 cup powdered sugar
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2-1/2 cups caramel, cut into small chunks
-3 Tbsp. heavy cream
-2 cups milk chocolate chips-(I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and I think they'd be more like the real Twix if you use milk chocolate)
-1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening (Optional)
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit.
- Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the flour - at first the mixture may seem dry, but will come together quickly.
- Take the dough and press it evenly into the pan. (Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.)
- Prick the crust all over with a fork - this allows steam to escape so the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.
- Bake until lightly golden brown on top and edges - about 30-35 minuts.
- Remove and let cool completely
For the caramel layer:
- Melt the caramel and cream in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
For the chocolate layer:
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave using ten second increments - stirring every time.
- If the chocolate seems too thick, add a tablespoon of shortening to thin it. (Just know that this will leave your end-resulting chocolate a little softer than normal)
- Pour evenly over the chilled caramel layer and spread until it covers the entire surface.
- Return to the refrigerator (or freezer) until the chocolate is well set.
- Cut and serve.
*adapted from high heels and grills